Mission: Help provide food to individuals and families with food insufficiencies by supporting the JFS Mission that no one in our community should suffer hunger. Our Food Pantry Volunteers assist clients who have a scheduled monthly visit with making selections from the JFS Community Food Pantry according to the size of the family.
What To Expect:
- You will start your journey to becoming a Food Pantry Volunteer with a brief intake session with the JFS Volunteer Coordinator.
- On a typical day, you will begin your shift by checking in with the Volunteer Coordinator. Then you’ll be on your way to helping our clients!
- Greet your assigned client in the waiting room and bring him or her into the pantry.
- Assist the client with choice of foods and amounts based on the number of adults and children in his or her family, and assist with bagging.
- Get meat, produce, bread, pastries, and refrigerated products from the kitchen.
- If there’s a lull in the activity, help with tasks like shelving donated foods, taking empty boxes to the back door, checking the dates of items in the storage room for freshness, and maintaining the cleanliness and organization of the pantry area.
Time Commitment: Shifts on Tuesdays and Thursdays
Training and volunteer expectations will be provided by the Volunteer Coordinator when you are welcomed to the team!